Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Seoul Last

For our last day in Seoul, the first thing we did was attend mass. We went back to Myeongdong to attend the mass at the Myeongdong Cathedral. I'm not sure if the directions I downloaded from the internet was wrong or I wasn't reading the map correctly but after a few blocks of walking we kind of got lost. Then I saw some policeman so I asked them for directions, I was holding a city map when I went up to them. Tough luck they didn't know how to speak English so I had to show them the map. The first policeman I asked had to ask another colleague of him. I'm not sure if I should have shown him a map with Korean symbols written on it or if he's really not familiar with the church (to think we were only about two corners away). They said that it was straight ahead so we walked again. After a few meters, I had to ask another policeman or rather show him the map for directions. Good thing there were a group of people, maybe tourists, that were guided by another person asking them to go this way. I had a hunch they were going to where we were going and the policeman did confirm that we should follow them. So after a few minutes of walking we finally reached the church, although we were a few minutes late. One of the few things that were different there compared to masses here in Manila is that when we got to the offertory part, no basket was passed around for you to drop your offertory, rather you had to queue and drop your offertory to the person in front of the line kind of like what happens during the communion. Another thing is that there were some Koreans who were not Catholics yet but were attending the mass. I knew this because the priest mentioned about them that they can not take the communion yet because they weren't baptised Catholics.



After mass, we went back to the shopping area of Myeongdong and spent the rest of the morning and the afternoon there. We saw a lot of street food like this




We tried this by the way, it's deep fried squid.




We had the best lunch we had in Seoul on our last day. Sorry but the restaurant's name is Korean Traditional Restaurant that's what it says on their chopstick wrapper. Or maybe we just have to learn to read Korean, so that we'll know the correct name of the restaurants because all the restaurants there are named Korean Restaurant or something like that.



Anyway, we ordered that combo with the picture behind us.


Since the waitress didn't speak English I had to point it from their menu and signaled the number one, I meant one order of that. Then she had three fingers up and pointed to all of us. So I thought "ah okay she's just telling us that the order is only good for three". And then our order came, so many different bowls were placed on our table. My brother said, "Ate, baka tatlo yung in-order mo ha!" I told him I didn't, the waitress was just telling us it was good for three people and this is what the whole order looked like. And then we started eating so we totally forgot about it. We're not really familiar with Korean cuisine so we had to look at the other tables on how they eat their food hehe. But the waitress did give us instructions on how to do it (by pointing to the ingredients). So we had to grill the beef, and when it's done we can wrap it with our leafy veggies and add in the different condiments that we like. It was delicious! I was so happy with our lunch!


When Mama and I were paying for our bill, we totally thought we were misreading the cash register because it was around 86 or 88000won! What the?!?!?! I remember seeing the price of our order at around 28000won. So my brother was right! What the waitress was telling us was that she was placing 3 orders of the beef for us. HAHAHAHAHA

It was finally time to go back to our hotel and wait for our guide to pick us up and bring us to the airport.


Gimpo airport was formerly their international airport but now it's used for their domestic flights. There was only just enough time for us to check-in and eat dinner at the airport. We ate Korean dishes for dinner as well.


Then it was really time to say goodbye to Korea. Cebu Pac was on time on the flight back to Manila. As a matter of fact, it was a few minutes early :-)


The gate to our plane was in a different side of the airport so we had to take the train (inside the terminal) to go there. So if you're coming from Incheon Airport, make sure to check your boarding pass where your gate is. Another thing I remember about Korea is that the weather there is not as hot here in Manila. We were there mid-September and the weather was like Baguio weather and it was the middle of summer there - our guide was even telling us that the week before that was even cooler, it was hot during our stay there (according to him). I had to wear a jacket during the night because I was really cold. And I didn't even bring a jacket, I had to borrow from my husband hehehe.

If I go back to Seoul, I wish I can watch the F1 race there.

No comments:

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...