Thursday, April 21, 2016

Bunso's Birth Story - Prologue

Her birth story started before my 35th week. Around this time I was having difficulties walking, sitting for long stretch of time, well basically moving around because of a piercing ache in my groin. On my 34th week check-up I complained this to my OB and she told me it was pubic bone instability and advised me to wear a maternity belt. Everyone was actually telling me to go on leave already. Pero ewan ko ba for this pregnancy talagang kinaya ko all the difficulties without going on leave. Maybe because I know my body much better after my first two pregnancies. For example, if I experience some back pain I'll just go in one or two days sick leave. Unlike before I'll really go pa to my OB who will then advise me to go on a one-week leave. 

Feb 5 - I went on sick leave because I wasn't feeling well. No contractions though. 

Feb 8 (a day before my 35th week) - I was having contractions the whole day. i texted my OB if I should come in for a checkup the next day. She said to come in between 10am-12nn.

Feb 9 (35th week) - the morning before we left, Joema and I finished packing our hospital bags and put them in the car before leaving for the clinic. My OB did an IE during our checkup and it turned out I was 1-2cm dilated. Since I was only on my 35th week, she told us to proceed to the hospital so that I can be admitted into the intensive maternity unit. Her instructions was go to the emergency room and ask for me to be wheeled in instead of walking). Sa ER pala you can leave your car parked temporarily infront before getting admitted. You can transfer your car to the parking after admitting. That's what Joema did. Anyway, from the ER the nurse took us to the pre-labor room where they hooked me up to the machine which counts the contractions. My OB already called the pre-LR so they know not to do an IE on me and I was for admitting into the IMU. Around 4pm, I was transferred to the IMU and from then on was not allowed to stand up (no bathroom privileges whatsoever). Visitors were not allowed inside the IMU. Joema visited me only when I was transferred, then he left me there na. He brought cheese roll from Mary Grace and bottled water which I was allowed to eat for dinner. 

I spent the night at the IMU. Medyo nahirapan ako matulog coz the intern who was there to oversee me was bumping her table to my bed everytime she moves. Buti na lang another mommy was roomed in the IMU  (it was a shared room with another pregnant mommy), the intern transferred her table in between the two beds. And I guess di ako nakatulog din because I was worrying, I didn't know what will happen to us.

           At the IMU when Joema came to visit me. 

The IMU was near the deliver rooms. While there, I was counting off the babies being born from the number of crying babies that I hear. I think I counted around 8 babies born during my stay there. Tapos pa nung madaling araw may nanganganak na ilang beses na nagpupush di pa rin nanganganak. Di ksi ako sanay na ganon coz in my case after one or two pushes the baby's out already. 

My OB checked in on my first night at the hospital. She explained to me the things that were done to me.  Steroids was injected to me twice for baby's lung development and I was hooked to an IV of magnesium sulfate for baby's brain development. She said an IE will be done to me the next day and then she will decide if I can transfer to a regular room. Naku eto pa pala, while she was there the resident OB was also there as she was giving instructions. Binuking pa ko na dominante daw ako coz I required Joma to stay with me the whole time at the labor room when I gave birth to Javi hahaha sabay kabig na girl power daw. Ewan ko ba why she only knew then. We told her the story when we discussed our birth plan on my 34th week and she scolded me for being a demanding wife - "Naku ikaw napakadominante mo talaga! Kawawa naman si Joema" nyahahaha!

Feb 10 - I was allowed to eat breakfast when I woke up. Warning TMI: After eating I felt the urge to poop. I had to tell the nurse.  Since I was on bed rest with no bathroom privileges I had to poop in a bedpan. Hay naku! I was trying to control it kaso humihilab tiyan ko.  Good thing the pregnant woman beside me was already transferred to a regular room and I was the only patient left in the IMU. Kaso naman there were two interns with me. Hiyang hiya ako buti na lang they brought in a partition to cover me from the interns. They washed me naman with soap and water afterwards and I felt really clean after. 

Anyway, my OB checked in on me that morning. Although the IE was done by the resident OB before she came in. Dilation did not progressed but my cervical lining thinned and was effaced from 50% when admitted to 60% that morning. She explained that I can be transferred to a regular room but will still be on bedrest. I had to finish the IV of magnesium sulfate and then after that, IV drip of duvadilan for 24 hours then oral intake of duvadilan for another 24 hours. By the coming Saturday she will decide if we can go home. 

          Finally transferred to a regular room

Feb 11 - I thought I had contractions that night so they brought me in to the pre-LR and hooked to me to the machine. Fortunately, there were no contractions.

Feb 12 - My OB ordered an ultrasound for me that morning and checked on me at the ultrasound room. Size of baby from the ultrasound resulted to 36 weeks. She said she checked my records and mentioned that the size of the baby is indeed 36 weeks at that time. So if we do go on labor, the baby's size will be okay. 

That night he kids visited me. I was so happy to see them again after so many nights away from them. My parents brought them to the hospital, they also stayed with them at our home while we were at the hospital. 

Mek and Joy also visited us that night. Miya even asked them bakit wala daw yung mga anak nila hahaha.

Feb 13 - our final day at the hospital, finally! The nurse in charge on our last night was medyo tamad. All throughout my stay here the other nurses would position the bedpan at my bed and wait for me to finish peeing. But our last nurse would ask if I already finished, expecting Joma to do her job. So everytime I asked for her help, I was always in a hurry to finish. The last time I did it tuloy nagspill yung pee sa bed ko and my hospital gown.  When my OB came to do my IE ang panghi tuloy and she became alarmed because the bed was wet. Napagsabihan nya yung nurse buti na lang. Anyway, when my OB did the IE she said I'm still 2cm dilated so she allowed us to go home bit gave strict orders for me to be on bedrest until I gave birth. 

To be continued...

No comments:

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...