Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Lake House

Watched The Lake House last night with Joema, Sharon and Kae. Sharon and Kae were telling me that Sheryl's officemates didn't like the movie since it was like Moments of Love. I didn't watch that movie but I'm pretty sure na hindi ginaya ng Lake House yung Moments of Love hahaha. Another movie with the same theme is Sky of Love with Ken Zhu and Gigi Leung. But in Sky of Love there was no love angle between Ken and Gigi. Ken's parents actually wouldn't get together if Gigi didn't give way to his mother. Gigi and his mother were friends in the past. His father was actually smitten by Gigi first but because Ken told Gigi about his parents, Gigi didn't entertain his father anymore.

Anyways during the movie, I was desperately hoping for a happy ending. And I'm glad I wasn't disappointed. Don't get me wrong I'm okay with tragic endings (I loved City of Angels) but for this movie both of them would have been so broken hearted if they didn't end up together (Okay, I would have been broken hearted). Alex Wyler, Keannu's character, waited for Kate (Sandra Bullock) for four years, he almost ended up dead in the arms of Sandra for Pete's sake. Right from the start we knew it was him at the accident but I was hoping against hope that it wouldn't be him. But it turned out to be really him, good thing they have that mailbox at the lake house. Although the story is a bit impossible to happen I liked the movie. I liked the way how they fell in love with each other merely by writing letters. I think the thing with letter writing is that you tend to be yourself and express your innermost thoughts. It started out with Kate's letter telling Alex about the lake house, the paw prints and the box at the attic. They started to correspond and through their letters they began to know more about each other. I liked it that at the start their conversations were casual, even joking that they were already married and had kids with somebody. I loved it that they were able to share something with the other even through their letters -- Alex shared to Kate his love for architecture through that walk, he told her about his father who's also an architect, Kate telling Alex about her work, about the place she lives in. I loved it how Alex shows how much he cares for Kate eventhough they're two years apart from each other -- when he went to her birthday party, when he got the book at the train station, when he planted the tree at her apartment. I loved it each time Kate realizes it was Alex she has encountered in her past - she only remembers Alex in the present on the same date that they met in the past, like on her birthday and on Valentine's Day. My to do after watching the movie: read Persuasion by Jane Austen.

No comments:

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...