Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Two Mujeres

I’ve been behind my book reviews. I’ve already finished three books since Abundance hehe. So let’s start the ball rolling.

I’ve mentioned in my previous book review that I was already reading another book before I bought Abundance. It was The Two Mujeres by Sara Levi Calderon. What got me interested to buy this book is the text at the back cover:

- the long awaited English translation of the surprise Mexican bestseller.

Simply and sensually written, this love story between two Mexican Jewish women has been both scandalouse and celebrated since its first publication.

It even has a glossary of the Mexican words/phrases with its English translation at the back. It's set up in Mexico and it’s about Valeria…a lady who’s in a gay relationship with Genovesa. It tackles the problems they encounter with the people around them..Ginevra’s two son’s, her parents, her boyfriend (then). I think it was considered and maybe still is a touchy topic, especially with a religious nation as Mexico. I don't understand why the author added the storyline on Morena, Genovesa's cousin. Well, yes she was the reason the two ladies met but the thing about her heroin problem I think it was insignificant in Valeria and Genovesa's love story. Unless it mirrors something in their relationship that I was too dull to see hehe. Anyway, the book was an easy read...some short chapters. It's interesting to note that the author is a Mexican Jewish who has two sons, got divorced and fell in love with a lesbian. I wonder how much of the book is her story.

No comments:

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...