Thursday, October 01, 2009

Coping

While almost everyone has gotten back to their feet, my family is now slowly rebuilding our home. I've told myself and my mom how fortunate we were to have them all safe during the floods. But I think we were all unprepared for the aftermath. I am feeling helpless as I'm not physically there to help my family clean the house, wash the soiled clothes, buy groceries and whatever other things they had or have been doing to cope. Last night my mother called me up crying. She said our neighbor was asking about me if we were okay and she told her that I don't live there anymore. Our neighbor hugged her and then she cried. You know those times when you're just putting up a front for everyone to see that you're okay, but when someone touches you or gives you a hug to comfort you, you suddenly break down? I think that's what happened to her. She suddenly felt how kawawa they were. Naawa sya sa kapatid ko who was dead-tired from washing their clothes driving back and forth to our tita to use their dryer afterwards. Naawa sya sa Papa ko who had to use wet shoes to go to the office. She told me they can't eat anymore because wala silang gana. Nagpabili sya ng Coke sa tindahan para lang ganahan sila kumain pero wala naman daw malamig. I told her we'll buy more things when we see each other this weekend. And they should come over to us for them to relax. I was holding back tears when I was talking to her but I broke down immediately after we ended the call. I couldn't do anything. I can only pray for my family's broken spirits. I pray that the Lord embrace them and feel the warmth of His Love. I pray that all families stricken with this tragedy will find a glimmer of hope that all of us will be able to move past this. True, material things are easy to replace but it's hard to mend broken hearts and spirits. Let's continue praying for one another.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Oddly cris, you know what I keep worrying about? how can everyone buy a new ref. I mean, not everyone can buy a new ref agad agad. Nasira mga ref ng all the flood victims. Imagine, people will have to go for days or even weeks without a ref - they can't store food, no cold drinks, how will people eat properly??

cris said...

onga e. although sa bahay naman ng parents ko dami bilihan kasi ng lutong ulam, dami din nagtitinda ng gulay-gulay and lapit sa palengke so pwede muna mamili araw-araw. hassle lang talaga!

Anonymous said...

Teary-eyed ako, Twin. *hugs*

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...