Monday, October 13, 2008

Allergy Scare

Friday morning I woke up with tingling sensations on my feet. Parang namumulikat at pasulpot-sulpot yung feeling. I felt this almost the entire day. I was uneasy the whole day. The only thing that kept me going was our dinner date with the flyfish gang.

We arranged to meet up for dinner so that I can give their wedding invites. We ate at Claw Daddy at Bonifacio High Street. We ordered pasta, baby back ribs and crabs. We found the food a bit pricey but over all we enjoyed eating there. I enjoyed eating the crab so much - what with pounding it with a stone (or rock?) to crack open the shell hehe. When I got home my feet were swelling. I wasn’t alarmed by this because I thought it was just an effect of what I was feeling the whole day, that I was just probably tired that the swelling was an after-effect of the tingling sensation.

But when I woke up the next day, my hands were swelling too. I can’t even make a fist. My hands up to my elbows were swelling. And my feet were itching! My legs were swollen as well, you can’t even see my ankle. Parang yung itsura ng paa ng mga buntis na minamanas. Ganon! I was a bit scared although I knew (after Grace’s own allergy scare) it’s really nothing to worry about but I still asked my brother and father to bring me to the ER. We went to a small hospital near our house. And since it’s a small hospital they didn’t accept my medical card. I had to call my officemates to ask what I need from the hospital so that I can reimburse my expenses. But I left my phone with Joema the night before. So I had to call him first to ask him for the numbers. And since it’s a Saturday he was still sleeping when I called and was a bit irritated while I was talking to him. I didn’t want to tell him I was at the hospital coz I didn’t want him to worry. But he was just so slow and he couldn’t figure out how to send a business card using my phone that I just blurted out to him that I was in the hospital and he needed to hurry (because I started to feel sleepy). I had to call him a few times and just ask him to dictate to me the numbers of my officemates. Rhoda wasn’t answering (probably because my other number wasn’t listed on her phone) so I had to ask for Ge’s number. O ayun panic tuloy si Joema bigla when he knew I was at the hospital. Anyways, when I got Ge’s number I was feeling really whoozy from the meds they injected so I asked my father to call her instead and told him the things he needed to ask. After a few minutes Ge was there visiting me with her daughter. So sweet! Isn’t it nice when your officemates have become your friends? Sometimes you know them more or they know you more than some of your relatives. But I digress. Ge came by to visit to tell us to just call her in case I will be confined. She will call our medical provider to ask for assistance if that was the case. But thankfully, it wasn’t. I just slept – or "kept my eyes close" is more accurate since I can hear everything that was happening around me, I wasn’t sleeping but my eyes just felt heavy. I was released after maybe an hour, the swelling subsided but my feet were still itching a bit. The doctor told me not to eat so many things (seafood, chicken, dairy, egg, legumes, processed food like hotdogs, etc. etc. in short “lahat ng masarap” – his words). I was given a prescription and we had to buy the meds before heading home. Before leaving the hospital, Joema called and asked if he should go straight to our house or to the hospital. I told him I was being released and that I’ll see him when we get home. After a few minutes that we’re in the house, he arrived. We ate lunch together but after eating I was asleep. As in tulog na parang wala ng bukas. I don't know if it was the meds kicking in. I was lying in the sofa while he was at my feet haha. When I woke up, I found him asleep too. I felt weak to go out of the house and do some of our errands – get banns from church and give out invitation to our ninong. But we had arranged for a dinner with his friends so we went out early in the evening.

2 comments:

Anna said...

lord. glad your okay. parang yung friend ko - dati she could eat seafood naman, then one time after eating crabs she swelled up like the goodyear blimp. kakatakot!

cris said...

ngayon i always bring medicine for allergy. thanks to our friend who's a med rep hahaha!

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...