Thursday, October 09, 2008

My Kumpil

The day before my scheduled confirmation, I emailed Penny and confirmed with her our meeting time. I had a fitting in the morning so I had asked her to meet up around 12nn (when I called San Miguel Church they told me the confirmation is scheduled at 2:30pm but we should be there by 1:30pm and there's a seminar at 2pm). She replied saying that she needs to bring their car to the talyer to have it fixed. Dinaan kasi nya sa baha kaya ayaw na umandar. But after a few hours, she emailed me again saying the car has “miraculously healed” haha!

The next day, my confirmation day (naks!), while I was waiting for her to pick me up, she sent me a message saying the car won’t start. Nakupo! But all’s well as we figured we can just commute going to Malacanang. I called my Tita who’s familiar with the area and asked whether we can go there via LRT-Purple Line. I met up with Penny (and her family) and her dad gave us a ride to the Santolan LRT station. I think it was already 1pm by this time. I don’t know what was into me that day but I wasn’t really worried we won’t be on time. And that’s big for me because I’m a stickler for time. I hate being late (this is the reason Joema and I always have our petty quarrels). But that day I was calm, I wasn’t worried. So anyway, when we got to the station there was a long line for the LRT card, which is unusual because they have a lot of card-dispensing machines there. But on that particular day, only 3 or 4 were working. We lined up and after a few minutes got our cards. When we got off the Legarda station we didn’t know where to go. We figured we can ride the taxi from there going to San Miguel Church. My Tita told me we can also ride a jeep going to Quiapo, get off Mendiola and from there ride another jeep going to San Miguel Church. But according to Penny’s dad jeepneys weren’t allowed in that area and that me wight have to walk going to the church. So when we were out of the station, we started waiting for a taxi or jeep to Quiapo. But most of the jeep signs were Stop and Shop or Divisoria. Okay now we’re lost. We had to ask one of the trike drivers there. Buti na lang alam ni Manong. He told us to cross the street and ride a jeep going to Quiapo. Then get off Petron which is along Arlegui Street and there we can ride a jeep going to San Miguel. We followed his instructions and got off Arlegui and rode the San Miguel jeep. I had to ask the driver if he’s going to pass San Miguel Church and he said yes, thankfully. But there’s this creepy passenger (there were only 6 of us inside the jeep – me, Penny, a lady with a child, the creepy passenger and then another kid seating in front), who immediately asked if we’re going there for the confirmation. I said yes. Then he asked kung sino magpapakumpil, so I answered na ako. But I wasn’t looking at him when I answer him at baka matandaan nya mukha ko. I can’t not answer him din naman dahil baka kung ano gawin nya noh. And I was seated inside inside the jeep and he’s seated right beside the door, the only way I can get off the jeep is passing by him or thru the window haha! And then he started telling us that we should go there during fiesta because the confirmation is free during fiesta. And then he started saying that date of the fiesta, and that they changed the date in the recent years. Was praying so hard we reach the church immediately, not only because we’re running late but also because of that creepy passenger. He was helpful but nevertheless still creepy.

We reached the church siguro quarter to two. There were a few more people coming in after us. I accomplished the form and then had to pay the P600 fee (plus P25 pa for the small medallion). Then we proceeded inside the church. The person in charge, a bald guy, let’s call him Manong Kalbo, started giving us instructions. He was a bit OA in teaching us what to do. We’re not a bunch of idiots you know. It seemed like he was talking to a group of second graders. And I felt like a second grader, I was terrified of him. It seemed we can’t make any mistakes and if we do, we’re a bunch of morons. He discussed part by part the things that will be done during the confirmation. And then the last part he warned us that we shouldn’t seat when the Bishop says “Magsiyuko kayo” or else we wouldn’t be getting our confirmation certificate. But what do you know, when we got to that part, it did sound as “Magsiupo kayo” ahahaha.


Altar of the National Shrine of St. Michael and The Archangels

The Bishop was a small old man. He was old but you can see that he’s also very strict (we were warned actually, I don’t know if we’re brainwashed into thinking it or if he really is that strict). Anyways, since it was obvious most of us were there because we’re getting married (Catholics should have their confirmation as early as age 12), he gave some words of wisdom regarding getting married. What really stuck to my head was his song. He was lecturing us not to engage in pre-marital sex. He told us that brides who wore white and are not virgins are hypocrites. That the song should not be “Here comes the bride, all dress in white”. The bride should instead were polka dots and the song should go “Here comes the bride, three months inside, six months to go and … “ I forgot the last few words. But we were all laughing. He was laughing himself. Like a kid, I might add. Imagine a kid who’s laughing at something naughty he has done but is trying to suppress his laughter or his parents might catch him. That’s what he was like at that time. So funny! Penny and I were still talking about it on the ride home.

St. Michael


When I got my certificate pala I checked it and Penny’s name was misspelled. We had to have it corrected but it was fast naman so no sweat.


With my Ninang Penny. Thanks Ninang! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ang strict nila no? nagalit pa nga yung pari, yun ang talagang totoong sermon!! lolz. a week before you nagkumpil rin ako doon .tatanda na ngayon lang tayo kinumpil haha

cris said...

oo sobra! nakakatakot nga sila e.

Anonymous said...

ako din wala pang kumpil. i remember yung tito ko, minutes before the wedding na-kumpil-an. nagalit din si father :D

cris said...

magpakumpil ka na lang sa parish nyo pag kumpilang bayan..di ka na mapapagalitan, libre pa! haha

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...