Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Stolen Lake


Found this old book in one of our cabinets at home. I haven't bought any new books when I finished the last book I read so I had to look for the next book at my old stash. Was surprised to see a "dedication" at the book cover:

Pls. keep this as my remembrance. Thanx for being my friend. Don't dare change. I love you. Take care of your darling .

Forget me not
Forget us not
Forget the letter
But not the writer

Hehehehe the friend who gave it to me was a schoolmate when I was in grade six. I never knew what happened to her when we transferred to different schools for high school.

Anyways, this book forms part of a series written by Joan Aiken, although the foreword of the author says that no need to have read any of the others she has written to understand the contents of this book. The story is about the adventure of Dido Twite, which happened during the time of King James II of England (supposing he was the leader of England instead of Queen Victoria). Dido Twite is aboard HMS Thrush which was asked by monarchy to pass by the land of New Cumbria, to help the queen, Queen Ginevra because her lake was stolen. The book starts to get interesting ones the crew of HMS Thrush gets to New Cumbria to meet the queen. Apparently, Queen Ginevra thinks that she is the wife of King Arthur (yes the one with the sword and king of the round table) and that the king was asleep for already thirteen hundred years. He's asleep because he is healing from his wounds he suffered when he fought in the Battle of Dyrham. He was kept in the island of Avalon and she needs the lake because this where he will travel back to her. The lake was stolen by the king of a neighboring country because he is accusing Queen Ginevra of kidnapping his daughter. He is keeping the lake as ransom. Interesting enough?

Brought this book to Bangkok and finished it while waiting for our flight back to Manila. It's a welcome break from Jaws and certainly a lighter read compared to the next book I've finished. Wait for my next book review.

2 comments:

~currant7 said...

wow...lapit na ng wedding ninyo!
i'm sure everything will be perfect!

the book seems interesting...will try to find more time to check it out. :D

oh, by the way, left something for you at my blog. http://currant7.blogspot.com/2008/09/photos-are-up.html#links

cris said...

cheryl, thanks for updating me on your photos! lovely lovely euro pics!

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...