Thursday, September 09, 2010

The Lost Symbol

I can’t remember when I finished reading this book, maybe around mid-August. This was lent by a friend, and I immediately wanted to borrow it from her when she posted something about it on FB. I don’t remember now what she said but it certainly got me curious. I’ve read both Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code of Dan Brown. And if you’ve read them, you’ll have a better idea of Dan Brown’s writing style. This book again revolved around the symbologist Robert Langdon and this time his adventure is in the United States. I don’t know why but I had a hard time picturing in my mind the US capitol that Dan Brown is describing in the book. I haven’t been to Paris or Rome (the setting of the first two books), but there I can picture myself running alongside Robert Langdon. In this book, I was lost in America, so to speak haha. But as with the other two books, from the start I was hooked reading this and I wasn’t disappointed with the ending. Although, a full chapter at the end was used to explain some of the ideologies on the book which to my dismay kept me from loving the book. I just thought the last chapter took away the excitement of the book (from start to finish). But my friend reminded me that the first two books were also like that – the last chapter was devoted to explaining some of the things that were vague in the book. But I don’t remember feeling this way about those two books, I remember feeling satisfied with how they ended. I guess what I’m trying to say is, when you’re done with the story just end it there – let the readers think on their own. Or was this because there’s another book after this? (Just like the previous book I’ve read – the … Remember I didn’t really like the ending too because I thought they dragged on about the male lead when it was supposed to be a continued to the next book.

Anyways, I really actually like this book (after all that blabbering). But of all the three books, I think I like Angels and Demons the best. I initially thought I like The Da Vinci Code better (between the first two) because of the mathematics used in the story (such a geek I am!) but if I based it on the thrill the books gave I would say Angels and Demons is the best.

Photo from: amazon.com

1 comment:

Yza said...

speaking of numbers, try to watch Numb3rs. :) The math just goes over my head but I was hooked for the first 2 seasons. Baka mas maka-relate ka, ehehehe...

A Love Letter to the Father of My Children

Dear Honey, Yesterday was Father's Day but I don't think any celebration is enough to celebrate how good a father you are to our k...